The Postal Service has filed a notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) asking for approval on a 2017 Promotional Program as well as adjusting certain prices in the First-Class Mail Parcels product. The 2017 program would consist of six separate promotions that would be held throughout the 2017 calendar year. The Postal Service is seeking approval early to provide mailers with sufficient planning time to maximize program participation.
If approved, the 2017 promotions will begin January 1, 2017 and the First-Class Mail Parcels prices will take effect on August 28, 2016.
2017 Proposed Promotional Programs
The Postal Service has requested approval for six promotions – five of the promotions are the same or similar to the current 2016 promotions and one promotion is new: the Direct Mail Starter Promotion.
A brief summary of the proposed 2017 promotions are –
- Earned Value Reply Mail Promotion: January – June 2017
Mailers earn credit for qualifying Business Reply Mail (BRM), Courtesy Reply Mail (CRM) and Alternate Postage with an Intelligent Mail Barcode (IMb) counted during normal mail processing.
– New in 2017 –
• Alternate Postage pieces now included in the promotion
• Credit has increased from $0.02/$0.03 per mailpiece scanned to $0.05 per mailpiece scanned
• No additional credits will be offered to mailers that meet or increase their prior-year’s volume
- Tactile, Sensory and Interactive Mailpiece Engagement Promotion: February – July 2017
Regular and Nonprofit Standard Mailers are encouraged to enhance customer engagement with the mail through the use of advanced print innovations in paper and stock, substrates, inks, and finishing techniques. Qualifying mail will be eligible for an upfront 2% postage discount during the promotion period.
- Emerging and Advanced Technology Promotion: March – August 2017
Mailers are encouraged to incorporate the use of digital technology such as Near Field Communication, “enhanced” Augmented Reality, Video in Print, Beacon technology, virtual reality and technology that facilitates programmatic and retargeting marketing strategies. The mailpiece should allow the recipient to engage in an interactive experience using the mailpiece and a mobile device. Qualifying mail will be eligible for an upfront 2% postage discount during the promotion period.
– New in 2017 –
• The inclusion of two new categories of emerging technology, virtual reality and technology that facilitates programmatic and retargeting marketing strategies
• No A/B Testing option will offered
- New – Direct Mail Starter Promotion: May – July 2017
Small Business Regular and Nonprofit Standard Mailers are encouraged to design direct mail marketing campaigns that incorporate qualifying technology (such as a QR code), which leads the consumer to a mobile-optimized website. Qualifying mail will be eligible for an upfront 5% postage discount during the promotion period. No more than 10,000 pieces per mailer may receive the discount during the promotion period.
- Personalized Color Transpromo Promotion: July – December 2017
First-Class Mailers are encouraged to use dynamic/variable color messaging in order to foster a better connection with, and response from, customers. Qualifying mail will be eligible for an upfront 2% postage discount during the promotion period.
– New in 2017 –
• Participants in prior year’s Personalized Color Transpromo Promotion must also either address the recipient by name or contain information relevant and specific to the recipient
- Mobile Shopping Promotion: August – December 2017
Regular and Nonprofit Standard Mailers are encouraged to integrate mobile technology into their direct mail pieces that facilitates an online shopping experience, and in turn, creates a convenient method for consumers to do their online shopping, particularly during the holiday season. Qualifying mail will be eligible for an upfront 2% postage discount during the promotion period.
The complete Postal Service price filing can be found on the PRC website under the Daily Listings section: http://www.prc.gov/dockets/daily